Wingssail Home Wingssail Images LogBookPages Map of our travels Index Email Fred & Judy

Sunday, April 29, 2007

April 28, 2007-Haul Out in Singapore

wingssail image-fredrick roswold
Wings in the Boat Yard

There is another variety of sea-dog and that’s “Yard Rat” and I have to admit I am one. There is something about the sound of air powered tools and the toxic smell of bottom paint that I can’t resist. Even the thick sanding dust floating around the hauled out boats brings back memories for me. A boat yard anywhere smells and sounds the same as all the others and they all seem like a second home. I’ve been in a few boat yards over the years; usually coated with sweat and dark bottom paint dust so thick you could do finger painting on my forehead and I keep going back.

For the past month Wings has been in the yard at Raffles Marina. Usually we do our own work, but this year we hired the team at Marina Yacht Services. It’s more than a weekend job: we’ve had some deck work done and had the deck repainted. We’ve had the engine out for some minor work that was easier done in the shop than in our living room. And then there was some new through hull fittings and sea cocks, and finally, new bottom paint. Its enough work to take a month.

My last two trips down from Bangkok have been visits to see how the work is progressing.

wingssail image-fredrick roswold
Sanding

It’s been going fine, and it is nice to work with a bunch of guys who want to do the job right. I suggested a couple of corners to be taken and Jeffrey, the yard manager demurred. He didn’t say much, but he was clearly not happy to cut corners. OK, I went along, lets do it right.

It reminded me of Phil at Seaview East a number of years ago. Phil told me he wasn’t sending out any boat with a half assed job. He has his reputation and pride of workmanship to consider.

Anyhow, I’ve been happy to see it here at Raffles too.

And these trips down to Singapore to hang around in the boat yard have been alright.

Amid all the sounds and smells of a boat yard that I love, I get to watch somebody else work.

Fred & Judy, SV Wings, Singapore


wingssail image-fredrick roswold
Yanmar

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

NEXT Page (More) , or... GO BACK to Previous Page
#